Three lesson plans explore the disease of addiction and the changes that take place in the brain. C. elegans and Alcohol is a laboratory experiment where students test the effects of alcohol on the roundworm. What’s the Deal? is a card game that models the unknown potential for individual addiction and Dendritic Spines Lab allows students to investigate how neurons change their connectivity when exposed to the drug morphine.
Students will develop skills in conducting sceirntific investigations, analytic thinking and problem solving and gain knowledge of the biology of the brain and addiction.
• 9-minute video
• Optional Lab Teacher Guide
Three lesson plans:
1. C. elegans and Alcohol: teacher’s guide and student guide 2. What’s the Deal? Addiction Card Game: teacher’s guide, player instruction sheets, and discussion questions
3. Dendritic Spines Lab: teacher’s guide, photos, and two handouts (Control Example and Morphine Effect Example
• Computer with Internet access per 1 or 2 students
• C. elegans and Alcohol Lesson Plan
• C. elegans and Alcohol Teacher Guide
• C. elegans and Alcohol Student Guide
• What's the Deal Teacher Guide
• Dealer Instruction Sheet
• Player Instruction Sheet
• Discussion Questions
University of Minnesota Department of Neuroscience and Department of Curriculum and Instruction