Why Do Plants Make Drugs For Humans?
This lesson teaches basic plant biology, human biology, and chemistry principles by discussing several properties of drugs obtained from plants.
This interactive module discusses some of the common elements of drugs derived from plants, including cocaine, nicotine, caffeine, THC (the major component of marijuana), morphine, and aspirin.
After participating in this module, students should understand the following:
• Understand basic plant structure
• Understand plant classification
• Understand acid-base chemistry
• Understand the structural difference between polar and non-polar compounds
• Understand atomic structure and bonding forces
• Understand protein function (e.g. enzymes and receptors) • Understand that the brain has special areas for different functions & behaviors
This module integrates information from the following areas: botany, biology, chemistry, medicine, and business marketing strategy
Computer with Internet
Printer/copier for printable module worksheet and answer guide
1 interactive module
Teacher instructional guide and notes
Content background information